Sunday, December 13, 2009

First Day @ School

"Why did you wake me up so early, Mommy?"
"Beta, you have to go to school today! Remember what I told you last night?"
"But Mommy..."
The hand I put out to protest became the means to drag me out of bed, into the hot water bath.

Mommy was in no mood to listen today. Is she the same Mommy? We used to play for hours in water and bath was so much fun. Mommy must be really angry today.
"Ouch!..Mommy soap is in my eyes!"
"Beta ... wipe if off. You are no longer a small kid!".
I am still a kid. Am I not? Your sweet little baby?
I kiss you good night everyday, how can you forget.

The dress is new. But wonder why its just two colors?
"Mommy, can I wear the birthday frock today?"
"Beta...you can, if its your birthday today. But is it?"
"But Mommy..."
"Beta...see if you wear it today, the rain gods will be angry and it will rain. The 'keechad' will make it dirty. Do you want your birthday frock to be dirty?"
"No Mommy..."
"Get dressed soon and eat the breakfast. Mommy needs to get ready too..."
"But Mommy...will you not make me eat?"
"You start off and i will come back. I want you to eat yourself today. Remember ?"

Food is not the same without Mommy adding her love and affection. I am cutting it smaller and smaller but the pieces just would not go in. Look, here is Didi and Dada.

Dada eats fast. I know he will help Didi later. He always does. I need help too .. "Mommy..."
"Mommy will come beta. Give Didi company. I will get your school bag ready. Remember the food box? Eat it when teacher tells you to"

Didi is sulking. Is she angry too? Its not my fault, Didi! Dada forgot to help you finish breakfast and tell those funny things to you today. See, Didi is also cutting into tiny bits now. I knew food doesn't taste the same today. Nothing is same these days. Not even my name. They don't call me "baby" anymore. Didi told me "beta" means boy. I have tell Mommy that I am a girl.

Didi is almost done. "Didi..." "I was just coming by ...". Didi puts food a little faster into my mouth. Not lovingly as Mommy. But loving in her own way. Didi is not angry anymore.

"Listen, I see Mommy coming out. She is giving me that look. You eat while I pack my bag".
"Beta, Didi has to pack her bag. Don't ... "
Funny. Mommy never realizes we cannot hear her when she starts the machine that blows hot air.

Hey, ( smiling with :P ), I can make my day more fun! Bread is now in very very tiny pieces. I can now place them on the spoon, place spoon on fork and slam!.... Food will go to Mommy's plate!! Mommy will eat well today! He he ...

"BEEtaaa.. what is all this!!!?"
"But Mommy..."
"God! Ajee sunteho! I need you clean this up. ...... You, come here and now eat quickly"
Felt like Mommy is making chappati in my mouth.
"Eat quickly!"
"I have cleaned up. Don't worry, I am going late to office, I can..."
"These are her Didi's shoes. Get her's before her Didi starts a tantrum!"

Good Mommy. If I go to school, I'd go with you.You just go to different school Mommy. I want to be grown up so that I don't need to wear uniform like you. And carry a wooden scale around.

Didi is back all ready. Mommy's hair is just inches from my hand waiting to be pulled. Didi quickly grabs my hand. I know that look means I will get into trouble.

Did hugs. "Don't worry. If you feel scared, just talk to teacher. Rohini ma'm is very good!"
A hug is all I need. I find something melting in my eyes and everything is so watery.

"See now, you made her cry. Come here, I will punish you with ..... another big hug! Thanks Beta. Now off you go with your Dada."

"Lets go! We are all set!"
We are leaving house, now? No Mommy, I don't want to leave you and the house. My leg doesn't move out and the world out looks so busy. I hesitate for a minute. Mommy understands. She wipes my tears. "It's will be alright!"


(Fasting moving pair of foosteps in an alley ..)

Sniff! I don't want to go to school. Because...because, I like it at home. Mommy makes fish fry. Dada becomes horse, or gives a try. Didi is so nice that she shares everything. Including the scoldings and beatings for what we do.

Didn't know Mommy had so much energy to drag me like a tin can behind a car! "Mommy, it hurts!". "Sorry beta, but you can't be late for school on first day, no?"

Where did all these people and their kids come from? The streets look so crowded. Somebody make the streets like in late evening. Calm and less people. Don't they know, I have to go to school?

School means building with big gates. If its for kids, I don't know why they have big gates. The gatekeeper looks evil. Big open space to run around! Kids are already standing in and saying something out loud. Everything here is different. I didn't know kids come in all sizes. They are really big kids as tall as Dada. It seems like they are singing .... but out of tune. "Help us do our duties, And bless us God!". I bet Mommy will sing better.

"Mommy..."

Mommy is busy looking for something.
"1 C .... and yes, 1A".

"But Mommy... I need to go through bathroom."
"Ok. Here, let me take you. It's different from our house and ..."
Mommy you are telling me too many things, too fast!

The room looks colourful with cut paper on the walls. I see toys in a corner!

"Beta, you sit on beach. Stop crying, beta. You will like all the fun here." Big Mommy hug. I like big Mommy hugs. I start crying. Now Mommy also starts crying.

"Sniff! Sniff! But Mommy, its you who is crying more."
Its funny when Mommy cries and laughs at the same time. Big kiss on cheek. I like Mommy!

"Good Morning! She is a smart girl, isn't she?"
"Beta, this is your teacher Rohini ma'm. Tell namaste!"
"Good namaste, teacher!"
"Good 'namaste'. Good morning will do just fine!"
"Good morning, teacher!"
"She is a quick learner, isn't she, M'am? So, how... "
Grown ups talk so much and so fast that its difficult to follow.
Teacher's smile is second best to Mommy's. And Didi's.

"Don't worry, she will be alright! And we have your telephone number as well. Take care, ma'm."

Mommy, please remember to give me a bye and a smile just before you leave. There, you remembered! Mommy always remembers!

Two other kids are dropped off on the bench. Their Mommy's also call them "Beta". I think Didi is wrong. I am 'beta' if Mommy calls me so. But they wear shorts to school while I have a frock. I must tell their Mommies to get them frocks as well.

Its funny when big kids cry. I hand out a hanky to the nearest. "Teacher is nice! Here wipe your nose."
They cry more than I do. The kid behind them already had drawn something that looks like a inverted box with two horns, like "H" on both their backs.

Ma'm enters. "Everybody, get up and say 'Good Morning, Teacher.'" "Good Morning, teacher".

"You two crying kids with "H" on their backs, turn around! Stop bothering the kid behind."
Box with two horns is 'H'. Oh, I see.
"You, boy, give me the sketch pen and come to the board! You can write here. You cannot write on other kids back. If you do this again, you will stand on the bench.... "

"Here is your hanky. Thanks!"
"What is "Thanks"? "
"It means....hmm, if anyone tries to draw a "H" on your frock again, he will get the same treatment."
"Thanks! I am <> ... I will think of a name for you two, but it will start with 'H'".
Smiles around.

"Now, everyone stand up, we will all say prayer..."